A white to light brown power completed with a colourless transparent solvent.
TIOCEFUR« is produced in glass vials containing 1g or 4g of preparation. The solvent is produced in glass containing 20 ml or 80 ml respectively. TIOCEFUR« and the solvent are packed in individual boxes.
Ceftiofur, an active substance of TIOCEFUR«, has a wide range effect against gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria (including beta-lactamase producing strains and some anaerobic bacteria): Pasteurella (Mannheimia) haemolytica, Pasteurella multocida, Haemophilus somnus, Haemophilus parasuis, Streptococcus zooepidemicus, Streptococcus suis, Actinobacillus pleuropneumoniae, Escherichia coli, Salmonella cholerasuis, Salmonella typhimurium, Fusobacterium necrophorum, Bacteroides melaninogenicus (Porphiromonas assacharolytica), Actynomyces pyogenes, Staphylococcus spp., Klebsiela spp., Citrobacter spp., Bacillus spp., Proteus spp. The drug acts through inhibition of cell wall synthesis.
After parenteral administration the drug rapidly metabolises to desfuroilceftiofur and achieves therapeutic concentration in the body which lasts 20 hours depending on the species of animals it is administered to. The maximum concentration is attained in 1 hr after administration. Desfuroilceftiofur is eliminated from body preemptively via kidneys.
TIOCEFUR« is used for treatment of of respiratory diseases and necrobacteriosis in cattle, respiratory infections in sheep, goats, pigs and horses, respiratory and urinogenital infections in dogs caused by ceftriofur-sensitive mircoorganisms and for prevention of bacterial infections in chicken and turkey-poults.
TIOCEFUR« powder is to be dissolved in the solvent in compliance with aseptic procedures. The solvent should be heated up to indoor temperature. 1g of the powder is dissolved in 20 ml of the solvent, 4 g are dissolved in 80 ml of the solvent. The concentration of the base solution for injections is 50 mg of ceftiofur per 1 ml. The solution should be stored at a temperature of 20-25 °Đ for no longer than 12 hours, if stored at a temperature of 2-8 ţC - 7 days, and up to 50 days if stored at 4-18 °Đ.
TIOCEFUR« is administered once a day hypodermically or intramuscularly for cattle, sheep and goats, intramuscularly for pigs and horses and hypodermically for dogs and poultry in the dosage:
- Cattle ľ 1-2 ml of solution per 50 kg of body weight (1-2 mg/kg of body weight in ceftiofur equivalent), but not more than 15 ml per site, for a period of 3-5 days.
- Sheep and goats ľ 0.1-0.2 ml of solution per 5 kg of body weight (1-2 mg/kg of body weight in ceftiofur equivalent), but not more than 5 ml per site, for a period of 3-5 days.
- Pigs ľ 0,3-0,5 ml of solution per 5 kg of body weight (3-5 mg/kg of body weight in ceftiofur equivalent), but not more than 10 ml per site, for a period of 3 days.
- Horses ľ 2-4 ml of solution per 50 kg of body weight (2-4 mg/kg of body weight in ceftiofur equivalent), but not more than 15 ml per site until full recovery, but for no longer than 10 days.
- Dogs ľ 0,2-0,4 ml of solution per 5 kg of body weight (2-4 mg/kg of body weight in ceftiofur equivalent), but no more than 5 ml per site until full recovery, but for no longer than 10 days. Poultry:
- one-day old chicken ľ single injection of 0.1-0.2 mg of ceftiofur per capita;
- one-day old turkey-poults ľ single injection of 0,2-0,5 mg of ceftiofur per capita.
0.2 ml of TIOCEFUR« are administered to poultry hypodermically in the region of the neck area.
To dissolve TIOCEFUR« for poultry administration please refere to the table below:
Dose of ceftiofur
(mg per capita)
quantity of solvent
Contraindications to the administration of TIOCEFUR« are: individual sensitivity to ceftiofur and other beta-lactamic antibiotics.
Slaughtering of poultry for meat processing is allowed not earlier than 24 hours after the last administration, cattle, sheep, goats and pigs can be slaughtered not earlier than 48 hours after the last administration of TIOCEFUR«. The meat of animals slaughtered prior to the expiration of the withdrawal period is used for feeding of fur-bearing animals or production of tankage. The milk produced by animals during and after the use of TIOCEFUR« can be used without limitation. The antibiotic cannot be administered to horses bred for meat production.
TIOCEFUR« should be stored with precaution (list B) at 2 to 8 °C in a dry place away from direct light. Validity period in conditions prescribed by the instruction - 3 years from the date of production.